Your Hypnotherapy questions answered
Hypnotherapy is an evidence based talking therapy that uses hypnosis as a tool to help with an ever-growing range of mind and body issues. Hypnotherapy is using therapeutic techniques in a state of hypnosis to create, powerful, long term change. Hypnotherapy is not what you see on stage.
Hypnosis is a state of focused concentration in a relaxed state, something that occurs naturally in our daily lives. Everyone experiences “hypnosis” when we’re deeply absorbed in a book or a TV program or even driving from A to B without remembering the journey afterwards.
A hypnotherapist is trained to take a client into this deeply relaxed state. Using Q&A and guided visualisation, as well as other tools, a hypnotherapist helps clients make long term changes at a deeper level. So they can achieve their goals or overcome issues impacting their lives.
Hypnosis is not the same thing as being asleep. Hypnosis is a state of deep focused concentration in a state of relaxation where you are to able to talk, get to the bottom of what’s going on for you and work with the suggestions that you want to follow. You are ‘awake’, conscious and in control throughout the session.
Hypnotherapy is a scientifically researched therapy which is proven to work for a vast array of physiological and mind related issues including:
- pain management, including childbirth, arthritis and chronic back pain and recovery from surgical procedures – all in conjunction with professional medical care
- assist with recovery from cancer and the effects of chemotherapy
- aid rapid healing and recovery from injury
- reduce the volume of tinnitus
- reduce stress, anxiety and depression
- increase your motivation to achieve your work or life goals
- increase sports performance
- build self-confidence and resilience
- resolve underlying issues that often manifest as symptoms of anxiety including panic attacks
- manage overwhelming and repetitive thoughts about negative outcomes
- achieve and maintain a healthy weight
- cease smoking
- sleep better
- help with public speaking
- enjoy being in social situations
- overcome your subconscious blocks around finances, self-esteem and self-worth
- be better able to navigate through challenges in your life
When you start your sessions with us, we work with you to understand your ideal vision of your life, what you wish to achieve and what challenges you’re experiencing in moving forwards with your life.
After this, we’ll guide you into a deeply relaxed state and work with therapeutic tools such as Q&A, visualisation and Neuro Linguistic Programming to explore the areas we’ve discussed.
We’ll gently bring you out of your relaxed state. Most people feel refreshed and deeply relaxed after hypnosis.
Some points to note:
- You are fully in control in hypnosis and will not be open to any suggestions if they do not suit you or sit right with you.
- You can bring yourself out of a relaxed state hypnosis at any time by simply opening your eyes.
- Hypnosis does not work if you do not want to be hypnotised or believe that you cannot be hypnotised or that it will not work for you. An open mind and willingness to do the work provides the optimum environment for you to overcome the challenges that are holding you back.
I offer face-to-face hypnotherapy appointments in Crowthorne, Berkshire which is easily accessible from Surrey, Hampshire, Buckinghamshire and of course, Berkshire.
I also offer online appointments via Zoom or Skype across the UK and different countries and time zones which work equally as well.
Hypnosis can not make you do something that is against your choice.
No hypnotist can make you do anything that you don’t want to do. You have to want to agree to the suggestions for helping you achieve your goals and putting them into practice. Hypnosis is a handy tool for accessing your subconscious mind which is in control of nine tenths of your thoughts, feelings, behaviours and decisions.
As hypnotherapy is working at a deep subsconsious level, it becomes easier to understand what may be jarring with your core values and blocking you from moving forwards. You can also find out what is going to best align with your deep underlying values. Once you have this information, you can decide what feels right and what you are willing to let go of subconsciously to help change happen, quickly, and more permanently.
That’s why some people who have been hypnotised to stop smoking, carry on smoking, because at their core they don’t really wish to stop smoking. We work with you to establish your true goals and that you want to make changes for yourself.
Going into focused concentration in a relaxed state in hypnosis is the same for hypnotherapy and stage hypnosis. However, there’s a huge difference in that hypnotherapy is a therapy provided by certified clinical practictioners trained to assist clients to overcome challenges with beneficial results.
Stage hypnosis works by wittling down the audience to recruit willing volunteers who want to and are likely to go along with suggestions on stage.
A hypnotherapist is trained to help people overcome personal problems, fears, addictions, reduce pain and to enhance peoples lives. Stage hypnotists are solely focused on entertainment.
The Association for NLP states:
A literal translation of the phrase ‘Neuro Linguistic Programming’ is that NLP empowers, enables and teaches us to better understand the way our brain (neuro) processes the words we use (linguistic) and how that can impact on our past, present and future (programming). It gives us strategies for observing human behaviour and learning from the best (and worst) of that!
At Peanut, we use the concept of mind coaching to refer to becoming aware of and breaking out of habitual feelings, emotions, thought patterns and behaviours and re-wiring the brain to develop responses, thoughts and behaviours that benefit you and help you live life to your full potential.
Mind coaching employs a range of therapies and techniques including hypnosis and NLP to help you create and put new responses, reactions, thought patterns, behaviours and decisions into play.